Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where Are They Now? Former Wrestler Brimstone

In 2010 we met Brimstone, a Jewish professional wrestler. We even did an INTERVIEW with him. Through twitter (@thegreatrabbino) we heard that Brimstone had retired from the ring. We caught up with the wrestler to find out what he is up to.


1) What have you been doing since you retired from the ring?
I'll call it semi-retired... I don't think anyone actually fully retires from the wrestling industry... lol!  I have been extremely busy since taking a leave of absence from the ring; I launched my company Hound Comics, Inc. (Hound Entertainment Group) officially in 2010 with a grouping of key partners who I've worked with for years.  Following the official launch, it's been a complete whirlwind!  We started with our flagship brand 'Brimstone and The Borderhounds' as a comic book series which is based on my wrestling persona (but has nothing to do with wrestling at all).  We released on October 31st, 2010 in Borders Books nationally, then with their demise; re-released in Barnes & Noble and B.Dalton nationally and internationally January 11th, 2011.  We have been on the road supporting ever since from New York Comic Con appearances to the Wizard World Pop Culture tour (to which I'm proud to be a mainstay) and everywhere in-between.  The flagship brand spawned an animated series currently in production, the Border-Pups children's book series, backpack line with Eastsport for Wal-Mart, sauces and seasoning line with CaJohn's Fiery Foods and a plethora of other cool things!  I'm one the the hosts on a popular foodie web series called 'Food Hound:Tidbits' (we just started filming our third season); speaking of which, we are in talks about expanding in a few different directions.  Currently, we are in the sampling stage of Brimstone branded Margarita Mix and Gourmet Chocolate Bars... very excited.  As for Hound itself, we've expanded tremendously under our corporate umbrella with Hound Comics, Hound Kids, Hound Publishing, Food Hound: Tidbits, Cosplay Society, 100 Percent Hound and a lot more in the works... yep, been pretty busy... this stuff doesn't just happen on its own!  ::takes deep breath::

2) We heard you were in talks with TNA. What was that like, what were you going to do?
It was awhile back, in 2007 actually... it was nothing too crazy; but I did appreciate the interest - makes you feel like you are doing something right.  I was training the kids at Pro Wrestling Revolution at the time when I was asked down to Orlando for one of their three day filmings in order to chat with Dixie.  It was extremely casual and it was great seeing and catching up with a handful of friends while out there... I have a few fun stories from the visit as well; but it just wasn't the right move for me. 


3) What do you miss most about the ring?
The physicality... I was a drummer for many years and was always able to get my extra energy out constructively; then came wrestling and for 16 years - I was able to do the same.  Now, albeit with all the running I do on a day to day basis - I utilize that additional energy on my work and public appearances; but I always seem to have some pent up energy that could certainly use release lol...

4) You thoughts on Bruno Sammartino getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame?
He is an icon in the industry and he certainly deserves it.  I'm glad that he and Vince were able to put aside their differences irl in order to make it happen.  Knowing the situation... I'm sure it wasn't an easy walk in the park for Bruno (or Vince for that matter).  

5) Have you been to Comic Con? Which ones and what is that experience like?
As I mentioned earlier, I am a mainstay guest at the major events like Wizard World and NYCC (I generally steer clear of SDCC) and typically do upwards of about 50 - 60 appearances and events throughout the year's tour including Comic Cons and now Food Shows as well.  It is truly amazing to have the opportunity to engage the fans in such a warm and welcoming environment.  I always have a great time meeting new people, making new fans and enjoying those who have crossed over from when I was wrestling regularly.  I seem to get a lot of younger guys in the biz who bend my ear a bit about the industry while I'm on the road; I try to answer their questions to the best of my ability and always encourage them to have a back up plan.  The conventions are also a great place to meet legends in entertainment and upcoming stars.  I've had the honor and privilege to make some pretty amazing friends along the way.
6) What do you have planned in the future?
As a rule... I never forecast; but Hound and Brimstone in general have a lot of big things in the hopper.  Plan on us making a splash wherever and whenever we can! 
Please visit us at www.houndcomics.com and me at www.entrancetohell.com
Facebook: @houndcomics @brimstone
Twitter:  @houndcomics  @entrancetohell

 Best of luck with all your work. Still waiting for a Colt Cabana vs. Brimstone dream match.

And Let Us Say...Amen.
- Jeremy Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment