Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kinsler's DL Stint

Ian Kinsler was sent to the DL last week, again. Both sides, Kinsler and theTexas Rangers, are not enjoying his status as he suffers from a left groin strain. This was the sixth time the Jewish player has been sent to the DL in his five years career. Should we start to worry? Is it possible Kinselr will be a player whose career was a failure due to injuries? 

Well although he has had a dislocated thumb, stress fracture in foot, sports hernia, hamstring strain, high ankle sprain, and now, a groin strain, Kinsler isn't worried. As he says: "I don't concern myself with that kind of label," Kinsler said. "How people view me, I can't control. I work hard to stay in shape and work hard in the weight room. When I'm on the field, I play as hard as I can, and I play to win. Hopefully, after this, I can stay on the field a little bit more often."

This year Rangers found themselves in a positive situation. They brought ace-pitcher Cliff Lee and offensive forces like Vladimir Guerrero and Josh Hamilton are on fire. The people in Arlington had to fill the hole at second base due to Kinsler's absent. In a trade close to the deadline they brought the veteran Christian Guzman from D.C. The Rangers still think Kinsler is their starting second baseman but they don't won't to take any chances due to Kinsler's past.
 
This year Kinsler numbers are .298 avg. 6 HR and 38 RBI while playing 76 of 107 games for the Rangers. These numbers are not bad especially since Kinsler can still get on base (.387 OBP). He is amongst few talented power players who can steal bases.
 
All we have to do is pray Kinsler will get healthy soon because Texas should be in the playoffs and we might found ourselves without any Jewish players in the playoffs.
 
- Yuval Klien
 
Note: So far Ian Kinsler (twice), Kevin Youkilis, John Grabow (twice), Brad Ausmus, and Jason Marquis have all spent significant time on the DL.

No comments:

Post a Comment